Day-to-Day Whispers

Sunday, June 10, 2012

How hard is it for you to discern God’s whispers in your life? There’s a story of a farmer working in his field on a summer day. He looked up into the summer sky and saw an unusual cloud formation. As he studied the clouds, he was certain he saw the shapes of the letters “P” and “C.” He just knew that God was sending him a message, a “whisper” of sorts, to “Preach Christ.” He fled home to share the news of his “call” with his wife. He excitedly shared what he has seen and told her, “Honey, I’m going to sell the farm and go to seminary.” His wife, a bit more practical, and maybe skeptical, replied, “PC? It seems to me it means “Plant Corn. Back to the field, please.”


Yes, it’s sometimes hard to know the path he wants us to take. That’s why it’s important to put those “calls” through the filters of scripture, prayer, and Christian mentors.

God wants us to discern his messages. He wants to guide our life-changing decisions and our day-to-day decisions. In his book The Power of a Whisper, Bill Hybels describes two aspects of God’s nature.

 We see God as “transcendent” when we view him as powerful, awesome, and lofty.

  


 We see God as “immanent” when we think of him as intimate, near, and involved in our daily lives.


  
Which aspect do you focus on most? God who sits on the throne or God who sits next to you? God is both. Psalm 139: 7-10 describes God as both sovereign over all and as close as our dearest friend. Which aspect do you need to focus on this week?

 Where can I go from your Spirit?
Where can I flee from your presence?
If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
if I settle on the far side of the sea,
even there your hand will guide me,
your right hand will hold me fast.

 Psalm 139:7-10

Let’s keep our eyes and ears tuned toward heaven this week and ask God to whisper in our day-to-day lives.

0 comments:

 
Leading Forward - by Templates para novo blogger