Pentecost

Sunday, May 19, 2013

And the Holy Spirit helps us in our weakness. For example, we don’t know what God wants us to pray for. But the Holy Spirit prays for us with groanings that cannot be expressed in words. And the Father who knows all hearts knows what the Spirit is saying, for the Spirit pleads for us believers in harmony with God’s own will. Romans 8: 26-27

I use a small electric fan to keep me cool in the mornings when I get dressed. How do I know it works? I can’t see the air coming out of the fan, but I know when it’s working. I can see the blade spinning on the inside; I can hear the motor softly purring; I can feel the air blowing on my face. While I can’t see the air, I feel the power of the fan.

I can also feel a much greater power – the power of the Holy Spirit. Today we celebrate the Day of Pentecost. The Bible tells us that on the Day of Pentecost Jesus gathered his followers around him just before he was to ascend to heaven. Suddenly, a rush of wind filled the entire house where they were sitting. Just as God had promised, he sent his Holy Spirit to give Jesus’ followers the power to tell others the Gospel. They couldn’t see the Holy Spirit, but they knew he was there. The Bible says they heard the sound of a mighty rushing wind, and they saw what looked like flaming tongues of fire that rested on their heads. They could feel his power as they began to speak in different languages.

The Holy Spirit is still with us today. We can’t see him but we, as Christ followers, know he lives inside us. We see the work he does in us and through us. We hear his voice as he guides our emotions, thoughts, words, and actions. We feel his presence as he shows us the right choices to make.

Since you can’t see the Holy Spirit, how do you know he works? You can see, hear, and feel him.

Just as you can feel the power of the fan, you can feel the power of the Holy Spirit.

God, thank you for sending your Holy Spirit. Help us to listen to him as he teaches us how to live.

0 comments:

 
Leading Forward - by Templates para novo blogger