Still

Monday, May 13, 2013

I am such an impatient “waiter.” I was in the checkout line at a home improvement store recently fussing and fuming about the man in front of me. He decided to wait until he checked-out to decide he needed another item that the cashier had to send an employee to get. Waiting, waiting, waiting. The line backed up behind me and we watched the next lane checkout person after person. I kept thinking, “Why didn’t this man have his act together? Doesn’t he know this is so rude to make everyone wait!” Finally, his transaction was complete. I moved into place. Just as the cashier was about to finish ringing up my total, she asked for my shopper’s card. In all my fussing and fuming, I had forgotten to have it ready. I had to dig in my purse through all the other dozens of shopper cards until I finally produced the right one. While the delay I caused was minor, it was a reminder not to be so hasty in my judgments of others. It was also a reminder to slow down. I wasted time fussing and fuming and could have relaxed and enjoyed a few moments of rest. I needed to be still.


What does Scripture say about a hurried life?

We are merely moving shadows, and all our busy rushing ends in nothing. Psalm 39:6

God invites us to slow down and live fully in the moment. When we slow down though, it seems we have to wait.

Part of growing up in our faith is learning the art of waiting. We see what author Warren Wiersbe writes about the art of waiting. When he feels tempted to hurry God, he reminds himself to do these 3 things:

1. “Stand still, and see the salvation of the Lord.” Exodus 14:13.
We can turn over our worries, issues, to God and then watch how he works iit out.

2. “Sit still… until you know how the matter will turn out.” Ruth 3:18 Take a wait and see approach. Don’t jump to conclusions about what God is doing. Be still until God decides to act. Remember how Sarai rushed God. She had Abraham sleep with her handmaiden Hagar. She rushed God.

3. “Be still, and know that I am God.” Psalm 46:10
There are times when we are just to accept that God knows best. God is sovereign. We can tell God, “You are God and I am not.”

The key word in all three is STILL. Stillness and patience with God are indicators of “growing up” in faith.

Waiting is an opportunity to be still!

0 comments:

 
Leading Forward - by Templates para novo blogger